Sunday, March 2, 2014

Stalled

I'm hitting a block right now and not so sure how to go about getting around it.  I kind of want to avoid it but have this fear that if I do I'll end up crashing.  Like when an airplane stalls- you have to do SOMETHING or you'll crash.  

In looking for a picture for the blog I came across this article about EXPLORING the Stall. I found a couple of things particularly interesting.


A stall is a normal reaction of a plane based on wing something or other.  He explained it "In training, I sometimes use the metaphor of ice formation: water freezes, under normal conditions, at 0º C. At 0.1º C, water is not frozen. It is the same with the stall. Below the critical angle of attack, the wing is not stalled. Above the critical angle, the wing stalls."

It's normal. It happens. Good to know.

With any aircraft, however, it is very important to know well the symptoms of an approaching stall so we can make positive decisions on how to proceed. ...
It’s like knowing, in the dark, where the edge of the stairs are at home. If you know exactly where the edge is you can approach it with confidence; if you are unsure, you may well step over by mistake and find yourself in deep, deep trouble.

I'm learning my own symptoms of my stalls: trying to keep busy- distract my mind, irritation, physical avoidance (I can NOT think while being touched by anyone), preoccupation with what is bothering me yet not wanting to deal with it (Denial!) 

Practicing stalls so you can learn, understand and know the stall characteristics of your aircraft will give you a sense of control and security. You will know where the edge is and will be able to approach it with confidence. You will know the symptoms of the approaching stall and know how and when to modify your inputs to either produce or avoid the stall as required.

Your landings will improve, your flying will improve and your sense of your own knowledge and skills will boost your confidence.

All things I want more of right now. 

The basic stall is a simple yet elegant and important procedure. If you’re not completely comfortable with stalls, now is an excellent time to find whatever assistance you may need to develop a positive relationship with the maneuver You’ll be glad you did.

So what do I do if I'm mid-stall and haven't practiced?  


Time for a Time Out?  Hmm... 

1 comment:

  1. Does it happen to explain how to get OUT of the stall? Jk ha. Very interesting, i like that analogy.
    I love you, you are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to comment- even anonymously. If you'd like to email me privately feel free to do so: madagaea@gmail.com

Please be respectful of my journey. There are ups and downs and you are free to move on if you don't feel comfortable with the content. Be aware that I will remove any comments that are hurtful or offensive.