Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Be Still



Sometimes prayers are answered in different ways.
I love music.  I forget that sometimes.  I have always loved Hilary Weeks.  One of my personal scriptures has is Psalms 46:10 "...Be still and know that I am God."  The first verse in this chapter reminds us that "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." In Doctrine and Covenants it is repeated, "...all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God."

Likewise the hymn "Be Still My Soul" speaks to me every time.  I often hum or sing it when I'm discouraged.  The lyrics are simply beautiful.
  1. 1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
    With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
    Leave to thy God to order and provide;
    In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
    Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
    Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
  2. 2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
    To guide the future as he has the past.
    Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
    All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
    Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
    His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
  3. 3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
    When we shall be forever with the Lord,
    When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
    Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
    Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
    All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
  4. Text: Katharina von Schlegel, b. 1697;
    trans. by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897

This is a beautiful version by Alex Boye. 

Today I actually cracked open my scriptures and began reading in the New Testament (by far my favorite).  Christ's Sermon on the Mount where he gave the beatitudes left me wondering which verse he was talking to ME in today.  We can all change.  Some days we are meek. Others we are merciful. Often in this process of discovery and hurt and healing,  I am among those that mourn, and I shall be comforted.  What a blessing. I'm still looking for the strength to get through each day.  But I am learning to take things One. Day. At. A. Time.  I'm not very good at it yet.  But here's to today and beautiful music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- even anonymously. If you'd like to email me privately feel free to do so: madagaea@gmail.com

Please be respectful of my journey. There are ups and downs and you are free to move on if you don't feel comfortable with the content. Be aware that I will remove any comments that are hurtful or offensive.